Tuesday 21 May 2013

There is nothing wrong with you – get over it!

Things began to go pear shaped around the age of fifteen. That was when I started to struggle going to school. I had no idea what was preventing me from doing so at the time so I found myself having to make up fake excuses not to go in. I remember being perplexed because I assumed that my school mates were all having the same difficulties as me but were coping with them just fine. I must be weak.

I am very pleased now to have the diagnosis of Schizophrenia. However I still live in fear that someone is going to come up with a test that determines whether or not you are ill and prove once and for all that there is nothing at all wrong with me and that I AM just weak.

But then I remind myself that I do hear intrusive voices and see intrusive images and I speak in a fractured way and often completely lose the train of what I’m going on about. I have also experienced hallucinations and deluded thinking in the past so I think that there is definitely something going on.

It would be nice not to have Schizophrenia; to be able to work and not get exhausted all the time by being ‘on the go’. However I do perversely find myself becoming very defensive when I imagine being told that there is nothing wrong with me. Surely I’d welcome that evidence. Why on earth do I hold on to my diagnosis so tightly?

What would happen if it was proven once and for all that I was as able as any other person to hold down a job? In the past it has been panic attacks that have prevented me from being able to do so. Now that my antipsychotic dose has been lowered a bit I have found that the anxiety too has lessened.

I used to believe that everyone was against me and that they were all seeing into my head. Classic paranoia I guess. One day a while after starting the medication I realised that I no longer entertained that psychotic idea. Now I was faced with the challenge of living in a world where everyone ISN’T conspiring against me. It probably sounds like this new world should be a lot easier to exist in. It is certainly a lot more comfortable, but it is taking a bit of getting used to.

Apparently only around 12% of Schizophrenics in the UK are in employment. Of course this isn’t surprising as Schizophrenia is associated with poor executive functioning. When I first started dating my now fiancée I told her that I was a lot better than I had been. At that time I assumed that I would continue to improve as time went by. I thought it was a matter of taking small steps such as beginning by doing voluntary work for a couple of hours a week and then gradually increasing it, eventually moving on to paid employment. But as Jack Nicolson puts it, “Is this as good as it gets?” - have I reached the pinnacle? I’d like to think that I can get even better than this.

So far things aren’t looking promising. But maybe I’m just going to have to accept that I will need to tread a different path.

I learned recently that emotional numbness can be a symptom of Schizophrenia. Does this mean that I am damaged goods? Am I not able to love my fiancée as much as another could? Or is it all relative? The first thing I noticed when I had my dose lowered was the heightened emotional range. They say you have to find a happy medium with the medication but maybe that means finding a mid-ground between the emotional numbness of the Schizophrenia and the emotional numbness of the medication.

It’s difficult as me to certify that there is something wrong with me. I have not experienced what it feels like to be someone who doesn’t have Schizophrenia. I am told that this thought is deluded and this is paranoid; that the thoughts are all mine and I don’t have to agree with them. But how can I know that they are deluded or paranoid? The fact is that they occur inside me and are so are very tangible.

Again, what if it was proven that I didn’t have Schizophrenia? What would this mean when it comes to these disturbing thoughts? The fact is that it hasn’t been proven that I have Schizophrenia. I have simply taken the leap of faith of trusting in the doctor’s diagnosis. You have to believe in something after all, don’t you? You can’t just sit on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment