Saturday 4 January 2014

I’m a monster

They call it schizophrenia. I have violent and sexual images in my head some of the time which can be very distressing. I try and tell myself that it’s just my brain saying, “What’s the most horrible thing we can make him think? I know!” and then bam, you’ve got intrusive images/urges.

Being diagnosed took much of the distress away because suddenly I wasn’t this awful, evil person anymore. However every intrusive thought that enters my head makes me question whether I am mentally ill or just a very, very bad person?

It’s not so bad when I get the urge to pour hot coffee over a crying baby’s head as that is so fantastical that I know it’s an intrusive thought. However having sexual thoughts about people who are close to you does cause a great deal of distress because they can be arousing.

I guess it’s only natural for my body to react to sexual things and the fact that I consciously resent having those kinds of thoughts is a good sign. I just wish they weren’t so damn persistent!


No comments:

Post a Comment