Friday 3 January 2014

Words Have Power (do wild animals get mentally ill?)

The way I understand it language is quite a modern ability for humans, coming about in order to coordinate during the hunting of large prey. But are we up to the challenge of language? Is being able to speak actually inhibiting us?

I look at my cats and see that they are unable to articulate things in their heads like I am; I can communicate more than a cat is able to do through language. I am able to talk to myself too and write down things so that I can comprehend them.

It is true that words do have power and once something is articulated in your head it is difficult to forget about it. This is different with cats that don’t have the efficient tool that is language to enable them to achieve this.

But is it actually an achievement? Or is it like a peacock’s feathers, which have evolved naturally but now mean that the birds are more susceptible to being caught by predators?


Does language make us more susceptible to mental illnesses simply because we are now aware of our reality beyond the level of our evolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment